Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hoorah! (OoRah)

One of my favorite memories from growing up in San Diego was going to the MCAS Miramar Air Show every October in Miramar, CA (where they filmed um TOP GUN).  My grandfather was a pilot in the Navy, which probably sparked my Dad's love and knowledge of airplanes, and that love of aviation has spread throughout my family.  Now Shane and I love to bring our kiddos to that same air show I went to as a child. 

Daddy's getting the ear plugs ready, it's LOUD!
The kids get to climb in and out of tanks, helicopters and planes and there are flight demonstrations all day long, complete with guns "firing" and "bombs" dropping.  The kids love it!


AAV, for water and land, it's Baaaad!
  
Maverick driving
 I remember in the early 90's, I couldn't wait to see the B-2, what we called The Stealth Bomber. It was all black and looked (to me) like something out of a Star Wars movie.  I was sure it was Top Secret, and I seriously felt like I was privy to classified information because I (apparently I overlooked the other thousands of people at the Air Show) got to see that thing fly.
Now when I go, I can't wait to see the V-22 Osprey; part helicopter, part plane, but really unlike either, the Osprey flight demonstration is something that you just HAVE to see.

V-22 Osprey, watching these fly is so cool!



Aurora and Daddy

Summer striking a pose


 It was an extremely hot day (it always works out that way) even though it's in October.  So, we all got shave ice to eat while we watched the Angels.  Summer took some creative liberty in eating hers...she gets points for style!
Eating her shave ice



The Blue Angels, F/A-18 Hornets
My VERY favorite event of the day is the Blue Angel show.  Since I can remember the Blue Angels team flew F/A-18's, but I learned this year that the pilots refer to them as Rhinos!  I love learning little tidbits like that, probably TOP SECRET information again ... OK maybe not.  Seriously, there is just nothing like watching these planes maneuver right over your head, in formations sometimes only 18 inches apart from each other!  It's incredible.



After a day of being rattled by jet afterburners, you'd think that we would have pounding headaches, but that is never the case.  I always leave excited to have shared this experience with my children and PROUD!  In the least cheesy way possible, I undoubtedly leave feeling proud of our armed forces and certainly proud to be an American!


No comments:

Post a Comment